Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Great Blue Heron


Of all the large birds I've photographed, the great blue heron is one of my favorites. During breeding season the plumage is really beautiful, especially at its peak when the lore turns bright blue.

I was cleaning up some files on my computer today and ran across some images from a previous outing that I had not yet worked up or converted from raw. Looking through them brought back memories of the day I photographed this graceful bird, and I decided to post a flight series from that day. These were shot in Wakodahatchee Wetlands in South Florida. In the flight shots below, the male was flying out to retrieve sticks, which he would then carry back to the nest and hand off to the female.


I hope you enjoy these images. Breeding season is winding down in Florida and looking through these images makes me wish for springtime to begin all over again. To see more of my birds in flight images, click here.
Click any image to enlarge.


































Finally, here is a photo of the male pictured above, landed in the nest with the female.

12 comments:

  1. Again, one of my favoutires! Great pack of shots, with the first one as my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic flight series Tim and this bird is graceful indeed. The last shot ... a kind of "love is in the air" ... or in nest ... is just a wonderful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great sequence of the landing GBH...but the second is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the entire series. The first several documents the landing well, while the last shows interesting interaction between the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice series Tim. Exposure dead one. Certainly one of our better afternoons @ Wako. Looking forward to going back. Always something to shoot there. Blue Skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tim,
    Woow the flight or landing sequence is wonderful. I only saw grey heron in France and egret! Got some in shots but not that cool! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of the landing Heron Tim. Herons seem to "crash land" onto the branches and mostly they make it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classical flights shots of the Heron Tim. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Amazing captures! I have tried to photograph these birds, but I only see them near sundown and the lighting is not the best at that time. Your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Series! Nice to see you at I & The Bird!

    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete