Friday, August 7, 2009

Pittsburgh's PNC Park

Timeout for baseball
71031 [click on any image to enlarge]
The week after I returned from Alaska, we traveled to Pennsylvania for a family reunion and spent over a week in the Pittsburgh area visiting various relatives. I was also able to take time to see a Pirates game at PNC Park. I had been past the stadium a few times in the past, and had photographed it from the outside, but this was the first time I had attended a game and took the opportunity to get a photo that I had always wanted from the inside.
71013

My plan was to get a shot from up the upper deck behind home plate showing the playing field and the city skyline in the background. But as luck would have it, it was raining before game time and we had to wait through a 45 minute rain delay before the game started. It did clear up later but my chance for the ideal photo with a perfect blue sky did not really materialize the way I had hoped (I have enhanced the sky a little bit in the first photo at the top of the page).

71010

In the photo at left you can see a well formed rainbow that appeared after the rain. There was actually a double rainbow and I captured that in a different photo, but it is more faint so I did not post the image.




71019
I walked to different parts of the stadium during the game so I could capture the view from several different places. The last photo below is from the left field exit where we stopped to watch the 13th inning.
The game went to extra innings and we stayed pretty late, but finally left at the end of the 13th with the game still in progress. As we got to the car, we listened to the game on the radio. When the Pirates won the game with a walk-off home run in the 14th inning, we wished we stayed just a bit longer. However we finished off the night with some cold beer and an excellent pepperoni pizza from Gino Brothers, which eased the pain just a little. This was absolutely the best pizza I've had in a long while. I can't understand why nobody in the south can make such a good pizza, but that's another story.
71124
I've not been out photographing any birds or wildlife since returning from Alaska, so this is the reason I have not posted lately.

4 comments:

  1. Great stadium shots. I hope your team won the game. I can hear the vendors screaming out, HOTDOGS, PEANUTS, GET YOUR PEANUTS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your shots inside the stadium. I have never been inside one so this is all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos of the stadium. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete