Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reworking Old Photos



Night Heron in Flight (juvenile) 2005

[Click on any image for a larger view]
 It seems as software gets more and more sophisticated and one's editing skills improve, there is always a desire to go back and re-edit old photos.  On that topic, I often tell my friends that I don't think any of us will live long enought to go back and fix all of the images we'd like to fix.  But accepting that as reality, it's still fun to take some time now and then to dabble a little bit just to see the difference between our editing skills now, versus what they were back whenever.

I have been cleaning up some old computer files this weekend and deleting a lot of old images that I no longer feel are worth holding onto.  But in that process I stumbled across a few photos I couldn't resist taking time to rework.

I've been using Photoshop CS5 since it was released a last year and I believe it is absolutely the best upgrade Adobe has ever released in the CS line of software.  Adobe Camera Raw version 6 (raw image editor) is absolutely amazing compared to even the last version that preceded it.  The improvements in ACR alone make CS5 worth the upgrade price. 

The first image above of a juvenile night heron in flight, is a lucky shot I made back in 2005 with my first ever DSLR, a Canon 10d.  It typically could not focus fast enough to track a moving bird, but I got lucky on this attempt.  This is still one of my favorite shots of all the birds in flight I have photographed since.

Here are a few images I reworked today...



Tricolor Heron in breeding plumage, 2009
 

Red Shoulder Hawk, 2008



Yellow Crowned Night Heron, 2010
  

 

Meadowlark, 2008
 


Wood Stork (nest building), 2009
 


Great Egret with nesting material, 2009
 





3 comments:

  1. Stunning work, Tim. You were on my mind this past week while I was photographing Bald Eagles at their nest. I had recalled you commenting once about the benefit of capturing clouds in an image for added interest. Day two of observation of the eagles I thought was going to be a bust as very overcast conditions to the east were completely shrouding the rising sun. The eastern sky would clear slightly while puffy clouds came off the Gulf of Mexico to create a nice rare backdrop in my wildlife observations that lasted long enough for a few shots. It's understandable how your flight shot of the juvenile YCNH is among your favorites. Pure magic. I particularly favor your Great Egret image seen here as a favorite of mine for the perfect exposure, action, and the clouds seen in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive work! PS5 is a really good software, but cannot do miracles. Of course you can add some sharpness, change the curves, levels, adjust colors, ... but you still need a good composed and well focused picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim this is a wonderful site. I love the images and the music on your playlist. Your narrative for the images is so well written, you should have a regular column in one of the major photography journals. Thanks for taking the time to share so much of yourself with us. It is appreciated. I pray that life is all that it can be for you and Cindy. Remeber that when you stop giving, you have stopped living.

    Butch

    ReplyDelete